100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Monday, May 2, 2011

23-04 1000m

This is what I call the ultrarunner's DESPERATE attempt to get some legspeed pre marathon next month. I won this race last yr and used it as a glorified speed workout- ditto this yr. The plan was to run a hard 1000(women run the 1000 men the 2000) then jump in and runthe 2000 with the boys as a speed workout (medium fast in 7:30 which is what I did) and see how many I can chick while I'm at it.  I only get about a minute or 2 between the 1000 finish and the guy's 2000. The next day I had a 35k long run w/ a 6-7k pickup at the end so took the 2k like a workout not an all out.

Anna Smolina was there again and this yr she had a strong indoor season. She's a former sprinter w/ the 200, 400,and 800 being her events. She runs the miles in the winter too and we tend to take turns beating each other there. I have a hard time running well on the steeply banked tracks we have at all our indoor facilities. So, knowing that prizes were good at this race and therefore wanting to win, I decided that I'd not focus so much on my time but run tactical. Anna can have a monster kick at the end so, if I am going to have a chance I'm going to have to go in the midsection and try and open up a gap she won't be able to close in the last 100. 50 meters is not enough w/ this girl, I'd need to open it significantly more-yes she can kick. Pitting a sprinter/middle distance runner against an ultrarunner in a 1000m event is sort of a joke- sprinter has theupper hand.
So off we were. Anna went out ahead w/ another woman and I just sat on both of them and let them do the work. After 400m, the other woman dropped off and I was just sitting behind Anna. The pace seemed too easy, but I needed reserve for the 2nd half. 500m turnaround and I see 1:46! EEK- that is slow! After the turnaround, I tested the waters and moved. Anna responded but couldn't match that's when i made the assault-it was now or never and I figured i could hold on for 400. It was a risk but waiting til the final 150 would be suicide. I went-2:07 at the 600m and from there I just picked up to close the final 400 in 79 for a 3:26 finish( converts to about a 5:30 mile when I run sub 3:30). Anna was kicking at the end but I had opened  up a big gap at the 600 and she finished 6 seconds back.  I'm sure she will get me back next winter again esp post ultra season:) She will probably be waiting for me at the Kremlin Mile too if I run that in June.

opening the gap
getting the job done
 2000m chicking  some guys
coolin' down





No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe