100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Yuri Gagarin Half -No April Fool's Joke and Overcoming Fear

For a long time, my coach has been telling me he thinks I'm holding back and there is a lot more reserve inside than I'm letting go. I haven't talked or written much about this, probably because I'm afraid I'll jinx something or  just don't know what to do next. Well, toward the end of last season, I started getting speedy again and started feeling stronger than I had been in a long time. Fluke? No, this continued into the winter as I began preparation for the 100K Worlds in three weeks. By the time January rolled around and we got into February, I started hitting long tempo runs slightly below last year's race paces at those distances. Mind you, this is on a boring as hell indoor track, but where else can I go to hit the paces I need to? Hmmmmmmm I really started thinking and I opened my journal and went back to what I was doing in the winter of 09 leading up to that 3rd place finish in Riga AKA the last decent marathon I ran and the last one I ran for time before moving to the 100k. it was like comparing apples to oranges. What I was running now was coming out MINUTES faster than the same workouts did then. Note that I always run faster in races than I do my tempo runs in training. Hmmmmmm this is kind of scary, so I went back further to my marathon and half marathon PRs....oooh damn that's been too long:-(. Still, no comparison, what I'm doing now is still better. Really? So, now I need to figure out just what I'm really capable of.

Sometime in February, I mentioned to Coach that I really don't want to say this because I'm not 100% sure, but I think I could probably put down a 1:25 ish half now. He just laughed and said that would be too easy and he thought I could do better. That's the time we had the conversation about my finding a marathon to run in March because he said I am more than ready to go after a PR. Ugh PR? That's ambitious. I figured logically probably pretty close based on how things were going. We decided on Barcelona until my effing visa issues screwed that. I only have one more exit/entry from Russia until May while I await the last of the work visa process-suck is not the beginning to describe this.

So, I ran Solnechnogorsk last weekend as a glorified long run. The plan was to get in a nice controlled effort and then turn around in eight days and run a fast half in Zvezdniy Gorodok at the Gagarin Half as a HARD tempo 3 weeks out from the 100. This is USUALLY the first good weather/clean pavement race of the season. well, one would think...

Although the main road was clear, the 500mor so  stretch in and out of the start finish area+ the loop we do in and out of there was totally covered in sloppy snow. I took one look at that and abandoned any plans of running much under 1:30 given that I'd be dealing with a 500 or so m out,then return to the same stretch for about a 400 down to the turnaround crossover  to head back out 400 or so to the snow free road, plus, I'd have to finish the last 500m in that sloppy slop at a time when I should be hauling ass not have to be worried about being slowed by slop. I figured I could kiss at least a couple minutes goodbye on the snowy slop.
                                                   Nice snowy slop -pic by Masha Shalneva

So off we were onto the snowy slop before hitting pavement. I went out as planned at 4.15/km pace. I wanted to try for at least 4.10 but I figured that would be too ambitious because the snowy slop would chew up more time.Also,being it right at freezing, I'd decided to go with my 3/4length CWX compression tights instead of my shorter ones. This is the first time ever I have not run this race in above the knee tights or shorts. I also decided to run in my summer flats instead of the Icebugs and just do the best I could on the snowy slop spots. The compression tights and socks give me just the right feel for my legs too. I started out with Andrei, a friend from the running club who had planned to run about 4.15 ish too. At 3k, he went a little ahead and I just kept things parked just over4.10 hanging 4.10-12 ish. The first loop was a 10k the 2nd was the 11 and change to get the full half marathon. Coming down after thhe 5k turnaround Coach was waiting at about 8k with my first Vitargo bottle. After 9k, I hit the snowy slop down and back before heading out to the 2nd loop. My paced dropped off to near 4.30/km !!!! Damn slop just stole quite a bit from me! First 10k was EXTREMELY PEDESTRIAN, probably too pedestrian over 42 min! WTH? I have been way the hell faster in training without really pushing the envelope, but ,yeah not on snow. Coach was wating just past the snowy slop with my 2nd Vitargo. After I took that, I felt a bit better. From 10K on I just picked up and went to work. What happened next was just scary. 4 min, then I just kept dropping 3.58,56,55 and just held on. After a couple k's at that pace, I looked at my Garmin and freaked and thought maybe it was a tree or someting causing it to read too fast. Next couple ks were faster. Then I thought I had better slow the hell  down a little or I'm going to die. No, something just clicked. yes, I knew perfectly well that 4 min even =1:24 pace and I decided to just see if I could park it at or a little faster than said pace since my legs seemed to be going there anyways. I decided not to freak out but to take a risk and really push the envelope, redline for a change and see how long I could hold this. Instead of looking and seeing the 4 min pace and thinking, "Oh shit I'd better back off a little," I thought, "Oh last k was 4.02 better counter it with a 3.50 smthg." What's the worst thing that could happen? The 2nd loop was only 11k and for me that's like nothing coming off all this high volume 100k training. So off I was and I started chicking quite a few guys along the way.
                                                      pics by Masha Shalneva
                                                                  setting up to chick another dude

The 4th woman was nowhere in sight and unless I came to a dead walk, I'd at least finish 3rd. I was running a solid 3rd behind Lyubov Morgunova about 600 or so ahead and some other new girl I didn't know was not far off Lyuba. At 13k I caught up to Andrei and passed him-Garmin showed 3.56 pace. I kind of felt bad for him because we were supposed to help each other out and run together, but he had apparently gone out too fast. Down to the last turnaround with 5.5 k to go and I see 2nd woman is fading the difference is about 40 seconds. I decided to try and see if I could close the gap and reel her in. With each k, I was getting closer and closer because I just was not slowing down. catch her or not, I wanted to really try eyeballs out redlining for a change to see just how fast I could keep going. At 18k Coach picked me up -I knew I had closed the gap to within 15 seconds and just kept getting faster. The last 3k was just surreal. I think 2nd lady had been warned that I was coming and picked up a little. At 19k I dug in and really wanted to use any gas left in that tank just to see what I could do, just go for broke, and this was the most insane closing-km's 19 and 20 came in at 3.43 pace-that's 5.50ish mile pace. OMFG are you kidding me? I was closing the gap but there just wasn't enough -I hit the snow looked at my watch-just about to hit 1:25.That's when I just thought  EFF the snow hammer the last 500-yeah I'll lose some time inevitably, but I was going to fight it as much as I could. I came in just over 1:26 despite the snow handicap. Holy sh!t-that last 11k was insane and I have never had a closing maintaining sub 6 min mile pace in a half-not even when I PRed! The course was measured accurately this year so it was an honest time. I was left with two questions:
1. Did I go out too slow and cautious?
2. Take away the snow and could I have chased down a PR?

Lesson learned- don't be afraid to redline or you will never even come close to knowing where the potential is.If going faster feels ok, don't fight it.  I'd like keep cutting that time but not sure where now. The Kirzhach Half is on the 14th, but it's a hilly hard course I probably should not risk eight days off the 100. After the 100K, I'm not sure where I'll be speedwise.

Luba Morgunova won in just over 1:23 2nd woman and were just over 1:26. it's ok for Luba beat me:-) I have nothing but respect for her.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyubov_Morgunova
Last year, at 40, she won marathon NCs in just over 2:30 and won Rotterdam in 08 among other things. She has won more major marathons that I can count and is still kicking ass!












No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe