100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mom Spectates From Heaven

Care For Breast Cancer 5k, Woodstock, Il USA

Third time is a charm. My brother told me about this race in 2009 and we did it together then. This is a huge event and it gets bigger every year. The proceeds go to fight breast cancer in the local area. These are the races I run for Mom. That year I finished 3rd.

In 2010 I missed this one because I had to get back to the other side of the pond for 100k Worlds in Gibraltar.

In 2011, I returned really wanting to win one for Mom, only to get out kicked in the final 400. I was carrying too much baggage coming off 100K Worlds and then Chicago all inside a month's time. My speed wasn't 100%.


                                              sunrise
                                                               off to warm up
                                                      GEESE
In 2012 I went to bed early and got up ready to get the job done. I got to the start early because I wanted to actually park the car! They had over 2300 runners this yr! I quickly got my number and immediately asked where the table was to get a back bib where you write who you are running in support and or in memory of. This one is always tough. I miss Mom more than anyone in the world and those who know me know that I still live with the guilt of missing her funeral even though it was a total no fault thing. Mom went to Heaven when I was in France and my roaming was a no go and I was impossible to reach. Missing Mom's funeral is by far the shittiest thing that has happened to me since going expat. Lots of other runners had Mom written on their backs too.

So off I was to warm up. Temps were near freezing , but I prefer that.  Just before the start, I noticed the girl who won last yr...Ok fine, I'll just run tactical-I'll sit on her butt and try and save myself for a late race surge. I have long recovered from my fall marathon and my speed is much better this yr anyways. The start was delayed 10 min because of record numbers of runners still coming in!

                                                  off to the start- Leonid ,me,Mindy ,Dylan,Parker, and "little" brother Brad

Off we were and off went last year's top lady. I let her go out fast-3.40 is first km...really? Sub 18.30 pace? I went out at 3.50 and just parked it the first k and by the mile mark, I had already crept up on her heels. She picked up a little and I just went with her to be a brat. Halfway-2.5k 9.31  jeez that's really pedestrian and slacking off for me based on my fitness level now but my goal was to go for the win and whatever time I run is whatever it is.  We hit 2 mile together then I knew I had to just gas it and go. I can't rely on some super finishing kick so I like to hammer over the 2nd half of my races when ppl begin to get tired. So I latched on to a guy not too far ahead and let him pull me along at 3.35-38 /km pace (high 5.40s mile) until he dropped back in the final 800. I held that pace finishing in 18.49 (coach was timing  and that's what the clock said too but somehow they got me in the results in 18.53 but I won:))) Leonid ran 17.56 and they gave him 18.03 which is strange as we both started up front too. I couldn't help thinking that Mom was watching from Upstairs.
























"Little" Brother came in in 33 in change and Mindy just over 50 with the nephews in the double decker stroller:-) This race is always well organized. Sadly, I may miss it totally next yr because 100K Worlds in Korea are supposed to be roughly the same weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe