100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Tradition Dies Hard- Belochka

There is only one race I've done more than Humpy's/ Big Wildlife now Runfest in Anchorage and that is Belochka. I've done the marathon 6 times in Anchorage and the 49k in 2015. I'm 7 for 7 -always won. I skipped it for other races last year and this year, well, not sure I'll fly in from Tuluksak that weekend. Keep in mind flying in from Tuluksak is going to be 450$ a pop, so any racing in Anchorage at this point really has to be worth the bother. Belochka- I have done the marathon 7 times off and on since 1998. I have won 3 of 7 , but the last win was 2004! I have otherwise been 2nd or 3rd every other time. I also have opted for the 10k 5 times as well instead of the marathon.
There was a lot going on this weekend and I had eyed the 5k xc run in Zelenograd, but it was too short.....I need a 10 or longer to be competitive and even the 10 is pushing my luck. I've been deliberately racing up to the half this year so I can recover between races and get more racing in effectively since my season is so darn ridiculously short.I really wasn't planning a marathon especially since it's usually way too damn hot in the summer and they are nothing but sufferfests in the heat. I actually was leaning more toward the half in Sergiev Posad or maybe going to Gorodets for the first time since 2005 to run that marathon and see friends. Gorodets got scratched when I saw all the express trains on the return after the race had been sold out. Coach pushed me toward just doing Belochka. There was a note from the RD this yr that prize $ would be equal on the guys and gals side after last year's mess on that front. It's not been insanely hot this summer so i just figured I'd slog out a long run on a very wet and muddy course from all this rain. It POURED the day before the race just to make things more interesting. Well, since I only have one more weekend after this to race before heading back and possibly running the USATF Alaska championships and this would probably be the only marathon this year....Belochka it was.
It was muddy....very muddy on the trail sections and this being a hybrid on/off pavement course, I had to run it in my regular road racers and just suck it up on the slick muddy patches. The first 20k I had company. A lady ran with me and  3 guys as well. We just stuck together and after 15 or so, the boys began to drop behind and I just decided to sit on the lady. It was too soon to get antsy and move....yes this would probably cost me some time but not just going my pace early on and pulling away, but I decided to run for the win tactically as opposed to trying something stupid and getting caught in the final 12+k loop. I had not been doing any marathon specific training and just screwed around most of the winter running hills and mountains due to lack of racing opportunities. It was not super hot- 23-24 C but very HUMID and mostly overcast. I was drinking like a fish and actually carried salt sticks with my regular eats along the way. Leonid was waiting after each loop with my drinks too. The first loop is a quick 4k followed by 3x12 and change just under 13. I just sat with her the first 2 loops, then, she dropped back at about 20k and I was pretty much on my own the rest of the day. I passed a few other guys along the way.I just pretty much locked into a mostly even pace save for the slow mud patches that sucked time.Being ALONE, I paid damn good attention to the course markings so as to avoid another f#ck up like last week. Actually, things were well marked and I know the course which is why when back in 2011 the leaders got sent the wrong way I knew something was not right. There were arrows freshly painted on every turn and markers on the trees some even with cure squirrels on them (belochka) this time. I won this one and broke the curse of not being able to win in 13 years. At the awards, the RD even announced my first win back in 98. I now feel nice and OLD! I was 23 and just starting grad school at Moscow State....where did the years go?! Well, I'm now 4 for 8 in this marathon!





No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe