100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Saturday, December 30, 2023

Run Fest 49K 20 August





 I have been too busy too keep up posting :) This one goes in as one of the top highlights of the season. Official win number 8 for this event with my first one being back in 97! I have only ever missed this event that has been renamed over the years(Humpy's Marathon, Big Wildlife, and now Anchorage Run Fest) if I was either in Russia or in Tuluksak because school had already started. With the new calendar and being completely off from the beginning of May until roughly Labor Day weekend, I can now do this race again.

As for top accomplishments this year,  I would have to say the win in the 49 K, the win at Russian masters NCs, and Arctic Valley are up there. It's been a heck of a season. I had the win by nearly an hour this time, but was about a minute off my 2015 course record. I ran solo pretty much the whole way with nobody to push me. There was a guy who ran with me a little as we headed out the first 20km to Kincaid, ut he decided to pass after 8k. He was already a few minutes up at the Kincaid Hill turnaround. At  25 K I ended up passing him and continued alone the rest of the day. Leonid caught me at 30k/Westchester Lagoon on the bike after finishing 6th in the 5k. He grabbed the bike and crewed for me the rest of the way. I am not getting any younger, and do not take any of these wins for granted. It has been TWENTY SIX years since my first win! That's A LOT of history! 












heading back just after 40k







                                                        


Almost 20 years to the day-I spent the summer in Russia then came back for the win. It was one of my slowest because I arrived about 12 hours before the start because of delays from the NYC power outage. History repeated itself 20 years later but minus the last minute arrival ;)






                                                And that original article I found in my Moscow flat this summer!







                                                                And the link to this year's!

                                            https://www.adn.com/sports/2023/08/22/anchorage-runfest-draws-more-than-1000-runners-to-two-day-event/




No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe