100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Monday, October 17, 2011

Chicago Marathon

Sometimes you go to the store and make an impulse buy every now and then...well if ever I ran an impulse marathon this was it. Let's see....I originally signed up before i was officially selected for the 100K Worlds. After it was certain I'd be running the 100k, I had Chicago on the back burner as my fall backup race in case of injury or illness or whatever that might keep me out of the Worlds.  There was no way in holy hell i was going to run the marathon 4 weeks off the 100 much less expect to do well. 6-8 weeks I would give myself as BARE BONES MINIMUM to run a marathon for time after the 100k.
I had actually signed up to volunteer at the first water station. I had signed up Leonid too and he did get to be water boy and had fun. The Alpine Runners do the first water stop. I used to run with these guys before I left for Alaska in the 90s. I have known many of the runners since I was indeed a high school brat. The president is also the race director for the Lakefront 50/50. I do have to say that of all the running clubs I have ever run with anywhere in the world(and I'm well travelled) this has got to by far be the most friendly and social group I have ever come across.
So recovery was going well before i left Moscow and i was coming off the 100 fast. After the 10k in Gzhel I figured I'd do Chicago...under one condition...that it won't be hot. Skip it and do a 30-35k training run was the plan in case of heat. Just before I flew out Vitargo offered to sponsor me for this race. I was honest and said the Lakefront50/50 is the goal on the 29th. I'm flying in last minute and will likely make Chicago a glorified training run.
Smthg like every yr since 2007 save for 09  Chicago was hot again- by 10AM the temp read 28C. Chicago was indeed a glorified training run. My legs were kind of stuck in medium gear all day. I seriously think the fact I flew in 4 days before the start and had little time to rest up played more a role than the fact I ran a 100k did. When I used to run Chicago FAST I flew in 7-9 days before if coming from Russia. 3 days would suffice when I still lived in Alaska. So I just stuck to the plan and used this as my intermediate long run between the 100k and the 50/50.

On Friday and Saturday, I stayed with Masha- a mutual friend of a long time friend of mine- Dasha:) Leonid and I walked Wrigleyville the day before. I'd say it's been a good 20+yrs since I've been to a Cubs game!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe