100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Care 4 Breast Cancer 5k 23-Oct.

Turnout for this one was huge this year pushing 2500. The plan was to just do this for my final speedworkout before running the 50K 6 days later. I always run the breast cancer runs in memory of Mom who lost her battle with breast cancer in January of 2007 at 60. She left us all too soon and I miss her more than anyone in the world.

This year the course was moved to Woodstock start/finish at the high school. I last did this run in 2009 with my"little" brother(he's actually 6'6" LOL). Last year I was already gone and back in Moscow when they had it. This year, Little Brother had to work church in the morning so Leonid and I had to go without him. Wanting to actually find a parking place, we left early enough...eek on the road at SIX AM! I just can't get used to these 8AM starts for most races in the US even when it's no longer hot outside. When I lived in Alaska our earliest starts were 10 or once in a very blue moon there was a stray 9 AMer. The only 8AM er was the Equinox marathon and that was to make sure ppl finished before the cutoff by dark. The earliest starts we have in Moscow are 10AMers most are 11 or nooners.




Weather was perfect for this one -just above freezing warming up a little after sunrise. Leonid and I lined up in front-holy stuff it was crowded and lots of folks were sporting pink in support of the cause. I ran about as even as even splits get finishing a very close second in a kick to the finish(ah that's the price one pays for downing 2 ultras and 2 marathons since early July not to mention a 100k and a marathon inside 4 weeks marathon being 2 weeks from this race). The course was flat and fast -missed going under 19 but cannot complain since I have been using these short races for my speedworkouts between ultras.
As the race director called us up for awards, he noticed the sign on my back: "Running in memory of Mom". He said,"This is why we are here." Yes it is, and I noticed he had the same sign on his back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe