100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Monday, November 7, 2011

Thank You to Dr Rose

I have known Les and Rose since the 90s. Les was one of the guys in the Alpine Runners back in Lake Zurich,Il that "suckered" me into my first ultra back in 98 where I subsequently won. Rose his wonderful wife who is a Dr at the Healthy U in Palatine.
I have known for years my running form sucks. (so did Jim Ryun)I've compensated with strength and endurance over the years to put down the performance that I have. I have been observed by more than one coach and all have said that my crappy form is costing me about FIFTEEN possibly up to TWENTY minutes in a marathon. The first time I was told this, I thought they were joking, but no several coaches have seen me race and said the same thing.

Ok thanks for the lip service but how about addressing the problem and how to fix it? I know I have a tilted pelvis that causes a leg length discrepancy. Yes, it's fixable but I need to know HOW??!! Rose  asked if I had any nagging owies or if anything was bothering me. No, not really nothing major save for my piraformus and sciatic issue in my right ass 2 yrs ago I had treated and fixed. I do put up with minor achillies tendonits from time to time and it's been going on for about 2 yrs. I just ice massage it and stretch it. She wanted to have a closer look...

She had one look at my feet and of course noticed the tilted pelvis and said that weak feet and the fact I was using less than half my muscles (not using the inner thighs at all or the inside part of my calves) was the culprit. I admitted i had crappy form and suspected the pelvis thing but the pelvis thing is a result of tight muscles on the right side always overcompensating. Why- my feet especially my left foot are totally collapsed. After analyzing the situation, she showed me how in realitymy first 2 toes on BOTH feet were doing nothingand the other 3 piggies had been picking up slack over the yrs. This would also explain how a small bunion mysteriously appeared at the end of the 2008 season almost overnight over the course of a month. It's not hurting me,but it's ugly.

So after working on me for a couple hours(damn she's good), she finally did what no one had ever bothered to do in the past-SHOW ME HOW I CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM! She SHOWED me strengthening exercise to do for my feet,piggies, and the whole inner part of my legs. Then she WATCHED to make sure I was doing them RIGHT!Woo hoo I am a kinesthetic learner and I need to do things right and esp right from the beginning to get it down. Rose has 2 PhDs and teaches chi running. She's right -if I don't address the problem now, I'm getting to the age where my crappy form could start wrecking joints and body parts and my poor knees. So, guess what I'm going to be working on over the winter?! Cut 15 min? HA we'll see but I would like to fix the problem so I'm no longer running with the parking brake on!





No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe