100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Snegobeg 30 December

Well the last race of 2012, snegobeg aka the Snow Run has been run as of December 30th.  After a four yr hiatus from this due to it falling on the same day or the day before the indoor mile, I was finally able to return to this one. I love this race as it's on the 2 mile loop around the pond in the park where I train nearly every day. I run out the door to the start, race, and run home.

This is a 2x2mile relay and this year I took legs 1 and 3 and Dima, my very speedy partner took 2 and 4. keeping with our sense of humor we decided to call the team the Tortoise and the Snail since we aren't particularly speedy at this time of the year. Well, in the opening leg, I managed to pass all the girls  most of the boys and was not far behind the rest making Dima's life easier to catch the remainder of the boys and open a nice lead which I opened even more in leg 3. By the time he ran the final leg there was no one around at all as was the case when I ran leg 3. Today we proved two genders are better than one and beat not only the mixed teams but the guy teams as well! We were smart and wore spike trail shoes. Without my Icebugs I could not have even walked on this trail much less run on it. After a month of deep freeze way the hell below zero things warmed up just above freezing then abruptly refroze leaving us with ICE ICE ICE. Even in spikes, I had to watch it not to bust my ass.
The handicap was definitely there. I ran both legs just over 13 flat, but my 2 mile track time would be quite a ways sub 12 without question. Dima is a 2:30s marathoner and just eeked under 12 today in his first leg. it was not blazing fast and the bummer is that the course was blazing fast and in super condition from the deep freeze until 2 days before the race of course!

After the finish, we all had our usual outdoor pre- New Year's celebration. After running this race from 2005-08, a win has eluded me. Today, was first woman and was on the winning team and had fun to boot!






No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe