100k WC 2011

100k WC 2011

Gagarin Half Finish

Gagarin Half Finish
Gagarin Half Finish

Awards Gagarin Half

Awards Gagarin Half
Awards Gagarin Half

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)

Cosmonauts give out the awards:)
Cosmonauts give out the awards

snowshoe

snowshoe

Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day? Whatever

This day has become increasingly more popular here in Russia over the years. I recently came across Phoebe Wright's blog posts on this whole topic and love her sense of humor. This pretty much sums it up-
http://phe800.blogspot.ru/2013/12/hello-my-name-is-phoebe-meet-my.html
http://phe800.blogspot.ru/2013/12/almost-endearing-talents-of-profesh.html

On a more serious note, I have just learned to accept that I'll likely always fly solo. I pretty much understood that years ago. I pretty much blew the "proper meeting years" in my 20s in Fairbanks, Alaska which is NOT really the place to meet someone. Alaska girls have a very true saying,"The odds are good, but the goods are odd." Anchorage had a bit better pickin's,  but at that time in my life, I had already planned to take a couple few years to take off and teach in Russia. NO, I WAS NEVER EVER supposed to be gone this long, but the economy went to hell in the US while I was away and it's looking more and more like I may never be able to return. Anchorage/Wasilla  has had nothing on the job front now for a good 4+ yrs. Now, I am to the age when all you generally get are the leftovers that usually come with baggage. So, if faced with choosing a relationship that will always play second fiddle to someone's issues with ex wives and kids, or flying solo, I'm better off solo. Some folks are keen to go that route, and to each his own, but I'd rather not make life more complicated than need be.

So the whole other half/ Valentines thing...I gave up on ages ago. On FB, I put in a relationship because I had disgusting perverts mostly from Turkey trying to contact  me and  resetting privacy settings seemed to take care of most of it. On vkontakte (Russian FB) it's been less an issue.   I can handle a 100k, but prefer to spare myself the drama of the other crap. Actually, A couple months ago, I was at a race (won't state which one) and some guy was clearly "interested". Whatever.....not really my type and seriously? I hate to be cynical, but are you interested in ME or my PASSPORT?! Yeah, sadly, I have to look at things like that seeing as I have been offered a crapton of $ over the years for said passport. I have always been keen to let the guys know in which orifice they can shove that money too! So, I had to come up with a way to pull a quick escape. I just felt uncomfortable. The guy was way too persistent. The classic go to the toilet and don't return seemed to solve the problem. I hate to do that, but I feel like more a jerk if I have to tell someone out flat to bugger off.

So- Happy Valentine's Day all, and remember some girls just are not meant to be tamed :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

snowshoe

snowshoe